Friday 23 November 2007

Salvation Army

Salvation Army
I am writing this page as I had noticed the entry on a message board and was asked for an opinion, however I am going to tell you of my recent experience with the Salvation Army.
You see my son had been in a bad car accident, 24th February 2006 and with all of his injuries and many operations in the end he needed a new bed, well 2nd hand anyways as that is all I can do for now, from the injuries his back was hurting him and his old bed was sagging and no good at all.
So I thought, well my mum use to ask the charities for assistance and I have never asked and my son needed some help, so I rang up to find out about getting some help with a bed and they told me to be at the centre at 9-30am and the first 12 people is who they see.
So I got the 9-30am bus and I went to the local salvation army assistance centre on Wednesday the 7th November 2007 and I had no idea of the set up or how they do things etc.

Well I went to the centre and it seemed that the first 12 people had already went through so I went to leave to go home, then the lady at the desk spoke to me and I asked what I was there for, then as I was trying to tell the desk lady why I was there and what I was needing and the actual assistance lady came out, at the same time and heard of my story and how I was stumbling/stuttering with my words due to being nervous and because of the many illnesses I have and not knowing or understanding their system of doing things.

So eventually the boss lady/assistance lady, well she booked me in for the following week, and only because I make sure someone is home with my son as he is on crutches and is unable to do things if there was an emergency.
The ladies told me what paper work and documents I may need to show them for the following week.

Well anyways I went the following week, and this time I got the 9am bus as the ladies advised me to do, I saw about 4-5 people there before me, however it didn’t matter as I had the appointment and I was first in so the ladies informed me last week.
I stood under the shade of a eucalyptus tree as with my medical conditions and the heat I could end up sick myself and then I would have no one to care for my son if I got sick.
I was actually feeling sick from my medical issues, I almost fainted and held the fence to prevent me from falling, I took some deep breathes to try and feel better.
I was thinking I hope this place opens soon.
The people there didn’t ask me I if was waiting in the first 12 people or not, as they was counting heads for the first 12.
While I was standing under the shaded tree, I was gathering my thoughts as who turned up and in what order just in case anyone was to say something to me.
Well we all went into the centre as they opened the doors and to many of their surprise, none of them got the number one tag, that must be how they do it, because I got this tag that had the number one on it.

Now I sat in the waiting room and waited to be called then all of sudden one of my illnesses kicked in, I was sick as, and the tears rolled down, I looked through my bag for a tissue to dry my tears and to try and pull myself together as best I could.
Then the assistance lady called me in and she asked me what I wanted.
First of all the lady took down my sons income details and asked me about mine, and also asked me about the expenses I had to pay out each fortnight.
I guess they do that to see if you really do need help.

But before I left my house to go to the assistance centre I wrote myself a list because of my medicals I didn’t want to forget things, now the list compromised of meat for the nights dinner, to get down at the shops as I had a couple dollars left until I would get paid the next day.
My son a mattress and some clothes for us.
I told the lady is best I give you the list as I wrote it down just in case I forgot.
And I was stumbling again with my words from my medicals. And the tears started falling again.
The lady gave me some tissues to dry my tears.

I also told her what I was needing that was most important for me, I said a mattress for my son, I told her why and I gave her his injuries documentation as people would never believe me if I just told them, she was lost for words and said what most people say, he is so lucky to be alive and I said, yes he sure is.
So she proceeded to ring 2 shops to find out if they had the mattress for me and as luck would have it, one of the shops did have one for my son. I said thank you god for helping.

Then the lady asked me about the other items on the list, I told her because of the accident with my son he has gained weight and needs a few clothes, and me because of the tumor in my stomach I needed some loose fitting shirts.
The lady wrote me out a voucher to get some clothes, she did say that only one thing could be done on any one day and I was getting 2, the mattress and the clothes.
Then she asked me about me writing meat on my list, I said yes I had a couple of dollars in my purse to buy meat for the night’s dinner, she asked me if I wanted a gift card voucher, I said no its ok, however she then gave me a $20-00 Coles gift voucher to get some other items I needed.
After she had written out the vouchers etc I was directed out a different door to catch the bus and go home.

I went home as I was feeling really sick and I needed to take some meds to help me do what I needed to do that day. I told my son I have a mattress for him and I was going to pick one out for him, I took measurements of the mattress he had on his bed.
Then I also made myself a cup of tea and then went to look at a mattress for son.
When I got to the store, the mattress didn’t look the right size so I asked the young man to measure it for me and I was right it was king single, it was too big for my sons bed, so I asked about getting a normal single bed base and mattress instead for the same price, he said he couldn’t do that, but if I paid the difference I can, so in the end after me ringing my son and asking him about our options I decided to get him a pine slat single bed base and a single bed mattress. I had to pay an extra $25-00 for the pine bed and I had to pay a $30-00 delivery fee.
All the extras had to wait until we got paid within the next few days etc, then I got it organized and delivered on Thursday 22nd November 2007.
Then I went to the shop for the clothes and I wasn’t feeling good at all, so I asked how the vouchers work and did I have to spend it all at once, the lady told me yes I need to use it on the one visit and I asked for the shops opening hours so I can plan my visit.
Then I went to Coles to get my meat and I went home and I needed to rest for the afternoon.
I was sick as, but I had tears again, I guess the whole day was a lot for me.
While I was resting from the day I had these visions, inspirations like I always get, and that was to find whatever I had in my home to give to them for their kindness in helping me and my son.
Maybe by my donations they can recoup the monies they donated to me as I surely did appreciate their help.

And then because the lady assistant was very understanding and just the fact she helped me,
I designed one of my Memory Keepsake Frames to give to her from me.

So in the end to reply to a message board question of
What do you think of shops such as St Vinnies and Salvation Army
There is my answer above; their help took a lot of pressure off me and not to mention stress.
Just as a point of interest there are people who get paid to do the work they do in the charities and there are people who don’t get paid, who volunteer their services and or works for the dole.
Years ago there were only volunteers from what I knew of, now the managers and other staff do actually get paid to work in the stores.

Insurance companies are not the best people to deal with and especially when you don’t know their way or their job and they can make it all so difficult for you.
Sometimes I get so ornery at them because I see logic where they don’t.
The simple things in life I guess.
They don’t even think for themselves, that my son was the passenger and was knocked out when the accident occurred.
It wasn’t even his fault and it seems they are the ones punishing him.
I guess that’s when the mother instinct kicks in, like protecting and trying to help him.
Anyways I have typed a lot for the morning.
If I missed any words, please forgive me.
I need a break and I am feeling kinda sick again.

Take care all…Have a wonderful day/night wherever you may be.
Heart Of Hush

Oh By The way

I am aware that the bad feeds may read this and then find the need to trash me out as they have done in the past.
http://badfeeds.blog.com/2290777/

I guess it just proves what I been saying all along, they are bad feeds. Their actions speak loud and clear.




This was given to me a while ago.

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
He said, "My son, the battle is between 2 "wolves" inside us all.

One is Evil. BAD FEED
It is Anger, Envy, Jealousy,Sorrow, Regret, Greed<<, Arrogance, Self-Pity, Guilt,BRAG/BOAST, Resentment, Inferiority, Lies, Thieves,False Pride, Dishonorable<<,Disloyalty<<,Superiority, Addictions, Bullies, All Forms of Abuse and Ego.

The other is Good. GOOD FEED
It is Joy, Peace, Love, Hope, Serenity, Humility, Kindness, Benevolence, Empathy, Generosity, Truth, Loyalty ,Respect,Compassion,Acts Of Kindness, Pay It Forward, Good Deeds, Honorable and Faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather:
"Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

The thoughts you think and act on.

Happy Reading